Saturday, August 30, 2014

Filthy 50 - August 30

Came into this day with a lot of trepidation. Butterflies. Concern that I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Yes. All indicators that I'd devised an appropriate challenge.

The proverbial night before the night before is your best sleep for the event scenario held true. Set up multiple lists for each of the gear bags and fuel bags, then left them at work on my desk for the weekend. Got to bed late, taking the last minute to string lights in the backyard for the party (did) and then trying to remember everything on my lists and get it packed away so I could sleep without the brain running in circles (didn't). Woke up at 2:00 and walked around downstairs. Got about 4 hours of real sleep.

Bike out with the Rigbys, Dew and Robin - Lee having a flat right out of the gate. Spinning easy and enjoying the beautiful dawn and cooler temps through the Woody Y, where we hammered down to 5 dogs. Careful to drink a lot and keep everything in reserve for whatever was coming later.

Shooting was great. I was hitting about 60% of the clays, but did much better on the pistol range. Some of the shooters with us hadn't handled guns before. Chaotic, but Todd, Johnny, Chacho and Joe Brown as skeet rangemasters made it easy for everyone. Felt a bit of some deep muscle soreness after shooting with that old hard-stock goose gun of mine.

Riding back was much warmer. Hit a headwind coming up out of 5 dogs, but got on Robin's wheel and he did work for everyone (most all of the way home). Lost Lee and Klint early (which I hate - I hate to drop and lose people). Again, careful to stay aerobic and spin the hills, knowing that what was coming was going to be the suck.

Quick outdoor shower at the homestead, change of clothes and a sandwich, then out to a completely new batting range in Rosedale - the range at Sam Lynn decided to start closing during the afternoons. What is with people and their business hours? Luckily, the Chesneys beat us to Sam Lynn to find this out, and suggested the new spot. We hustled through the hits, and I made a point to switch hit 25 and 25.


Off to the gym to bag the Filthy Fifty wod with Barry, Klint, Zach and some few who wouldacoulda wanted to do the wod but weren't going to be allowed because of the management, and some few who helped out with moral support. CC and Bella did some counting for me, but they'd get bored and start doing workout stuff. They are perpetual motion machines, those two. 
Felt absolutely strong and was killing the wod when the wall balls-then-burpees back to back hit me like a truck - partioning the burpees into 5's there at the end. 
I always knew that this event would be the heart-check of the day. As it was, I did the wod in 45 mins, which was completely better than I could have hoped. But this is where the day became true work.

Swimming was a community atmosphere with lanes painted but not roped, kids splashing around, and a 1 hour cutoff time (another group was coming in to use the tables area at 5). Which was fine, because 5 was right on schedule, and we were behind a bit so hustlehustle was what I had in mind anyway, and I'd figured in about 30 mins of buffer time when planning the day during the course of the swim event. All this was perfect. 
Then the swimming began; end of all things perfect. My form completely sucked. My feet began to cramp, and when I bent over to massage them, my hamstrings would cramp. The last 10 laps, I couldn't complete a rep without having to stop and decramp. I had Jessey with me on the last 9 to count and keep me moving, which was everything I needed. 
Finally finished, then I tried to mantle the side to get out of the pool and my right quad cramped up. A hopeless moment. I was thinking at this point that there was no way I was going to get even halfway through the sprints without going into total body spasms.

Set out the cones for the 50's and realized that I'd forgotten to pack my bluetooth speaker to sound off the sprints. CC, Todd and Christine took turns giving us the count, as we ran where we could find dry grass. The first 5 felt rocky, then everything just fell back into place. After all these years of training, I guess my body has learned that doing what it's told is preferable to the futility of rebelling. I didn't cramp, but that's maybe only because all the divergent personalities within me knew that they were going to have to run regardless.
Form felt good and true throughout, get-offs were crisp. The area was shady but humid, and I did an inordinate amount of sweating. But I took sweating as a better sign than not sweating.

Finished strong and lit out for the party. 5688 calories burned during the day according to Lose it. Try as I might, was only able to consume 5193 during the course of the day and night. I only managed 5 tacos ... stomach was immediately full. Didn't get tired 'til after midnight. Lots of energy to spare.

Just a little soreness the next day, walking to breakfast at Village Grill. All in all, pretty good for an old guy.


6 - 2 hours - 2300/0500. 390 minutes total. PE: 10. 72 hours. 223.

No comments: