Saturday, July 27, 2013

On Vacation.

The Psalms of ascent - 120 and following.

What a delicious baseline the Jews had concerning "Pilgrimage." Going up the mountain, singing songs about God and life under God's watchful care, as pilgrims and their fellow-family-members-and-pilgrims feeling an anticipation of worshipping that same God in His special temple. Sure, there's a bit of excitement of "going to the big city" for those in an agrarian lifestyle, but that's secondary.

What a disappointing fall for those of us who should be living as completed Jews to opt for "Vacation"  instead of Pilgrimage. If we go up the mountain, it's to relax or enjoy the scenery. Singing in the car? Everyone has their personal devices on and earbuds in. Going to the big city is the reason for leaving home, and if we're away on a Sunday ... do we seek out the local House of Worship or just play on? Time away is upside down, and the Christian community is taking the world's leading by embracing the notion of Vacation.

Is the annual vacation on the table for negotiation? We don't have a temple to which we make a pilgrimage - but is Mission a substitute we are willing to consider? As Christians, "Vacation" should be a bad word, as unappealing as the phrase "Self Indulgence."

I feel strongly about this, but I have to back off on that because, while I may have strong feeling for this, this may only be true for me, and not something I should push off I'm on the community at large. I'm on the thin ice of personal preference with no real scriptural backup on my stance. Part of it is how I'm wired; can't sit still on vacation.

I just caught up with the family and caught the last two days of their week in Catalina. There is a custom there for those who frequent the island - after the bars close (read: 3AM) those in the know send a volunteer down to the beach to lay out sheets or towels to reserve their piece of shoreline for the day. Our crew will sit all day in the same 40 foot square all day every day, every year. For the wives and the lazier men, this is exactly what they want; the sameness. Me, this is crazy-making. I can only sit there for 5 minutes before needing to swim or make sand castles or go scuba or *something*.

That's my most recent experience vacationing. I have a problem accepting the tradition of spending so much money to do nothing. I can do that at home for free. So, my mantra is

Doing is invigorating, Different is invigorating.

Sabbath was staycation because it was the sameness of home, but doing nothing. At least awaycation should be the newness of a different location, but doing something ... productive. Selfless? At least not self-indulgent. Differentiating vacation-terminology is a start? We may not need 7 words for snow, but AmericanEnglish needs more than one for vacation.

Vacation. I'm going away to do whatever I want to pamper myself, because I deserve a break.
Staycation. I'm not going anywhere, but I'm doing something different to recuperate at home. Besides, I'm too broke to travel.
Awaycation. I'm going away for a week, but it's not for play. It's to do what I can't do at home during my normal schedule. Serve, Help, Introspect, Plan ... SHIPping out! I like it.
Mission. Going or staying, I'm going to do something not for me at all, and after it's over I may need a break to recuperate - all I may get out of this is treasure in heaven. Coming away from a week away with some sort of trophy is a win - whether it's a painted orphanage, a friend you helped move, kids you counseled at camp who "prayed the prayer."

No comments: