Sunday, March 24, 2013

Scottish Heavy Athletics - Mar 23

Been a long while since I'd done any throwing. I sure hadn't done any of these throws. Got into the competition late from Todd Short's funeral, only just in time to get off one Weight for Distance. Only did a single spin, and it still felt awkward. Weight on a chain is not like a solid discus. 19 feet.

Light hammer was the most fun. My third try flew  straightaway with decent height - 52'. The first couple I hung onto too long and went left.

Weight over the bar would be my best event, I would have said, prior to the games. I've been using the kettlebell, right? Again, weight on a chain isn't like solid weight. I was extending hips before the weight was coming out from between my legs (as in the picture) and throwing with all arm. Arc'ed into the bar on all three tries at 9'. Afterward, I felt like I'd broken a bone between my 4th and 5th fingers in my right hand. Hopefully, it's just a pinched nerve or something.

Caber. I only got three tries. First time touching one, I only lifted it and lost balance while trying to shift the hands under the end. Got better the second try and got a throw off, nowhere near turning it though. Final try was nearly a turn, if I had less to think about I would have focused on three steps and fire, follow through with head back and hands overhead. Left me wishing for just one more try at that thing.

Next morning, I'm feeling some water-on-the-knee tightness in my right leg, some inner-shoulder strain in my right, and that weerd thing in my hand. Oh, and my right clavicle feels like someone hit on it with a brick.
Glad that this comes a day before starting a new 120 day cycle. I'm definitely working in more posterior chain hip-drive work, and single-arm snatching.

No comments: