Wednesday, May 01, 2013

EXP: It Looked Great On Paper

Well, after getting sick with the broken-glass throat virus/creeping crud from the fall valley air, I'm here to admit that the EXP system was a failed test. And, yeah, it did make perfect sense on paper in excel. I have a few takeaways, one of which is a good spreadsheet full of predicted max/predicted 3RM tables.

I'd not done that much volume - or attempted that much volume - since I'd been logging workouts. I shot high a couple years ago in June with 9x/week. Last year wasn't nearly as frequent, but sessions were longer - but not as intense in terms of resistance.
Juggling the sessions was the first indicator that things were amiss, either in my daily schedule or with my ability to meet the schedule on its terms. Feeling tired, overreached and beat up was second. The nagging knee pain was third. Getting sick and laying around for 5 days was the final.

The comeback trail will traverse the old mountainside of 531 with BBB, but adding in a Pull day, a second (front) Squat day, an every-5th-day-off clause (which was omitted from EXP, but I've known for long years is a hard/fast real-world law), and adding in the Monday/Thursday PM metcons as sprint/row work. Gonna make sure that this cycle incorporates Y-Pulls, Croc rows, and heavy pulls with the dipping belt.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

No comments: