Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 - Year in Review

Thinking back now, I'm remembering this year as one in which I had hopes for a lot of good things to happen - and many did - but as I take a little stock, many of the good changes I had hoped for didn't materialize. Much of it because I didn't make change occur. Some few changes weren't because others didn't, but I don't have control over that - only over my own ability to inspire - and I don't see that I was living inspirationally this year, even to myself.

In my own little circle of influence, I took two steps forward and one step back. Certainly this was true in my PFT.
This year I woke up to the world of nutrition, finally journaling via the LoseIt! app on the iPhone. There, I realized that my breakdown on the big three was inverted - I was eating twice the carbs and half the protein I'd been imagining I was consuming.
I had a goal to pare down from 221 to 204, and did.
I did a high frequency period in June that expanded my vision for what I can do. 9 sessions a week with one full day off, and I think I can do more. It was a tight, focused time.
I learned a bit about working with just myself, a bar, and mean ol' Mr. Gravity while the Anytime Fitness in Shafter ramped up. The free weights area was an open area with one bar and 245# of oly plates. Re-learning the basics of press, squat, deadlift, pull up, clean, overhead squat ... at first I joked about the lack of equipment set up there, but only after the standard equipment arrived, really realized what a blessing that bar-only time was.
I did a short period of linear progression in the Fall followed by hypertrophy (in circuits) and completely dropped any running after the summer, and metcons, and finished the year stronger - and back up to 223#.
We did Volkslauf and Lighthouse, and both felt great. I PR'ed a few WoDs, but I'll have to check on which they were. My mile time was stanky, at 7:30, then down to 7:38 when I'd lost 20#. Go figure.
I did take time off the left achilles, as running always made it feel like some bone in my ankle was sawing through the tendon. I will bike more, and run less, in 2012.

At church, there was hope for change as one associate pastor left, and another arrived. A good change. Working with the staff is strange waters for me still though. I feel very out of place in a place that was once more my home than home for me. I'm apathetic now, and where I felt a determination to help be a catalyst for change there at the beginning of this year is now a feeling that I am not going to see a difference until the staff changes - and that myself or my family will not really learn, change or grow there. Could be just me, I'm sour on playing church. I'm sour on sermons as a construct. I'm sour on my own expectation for growth to come from outside rather than from my own gut.
Like a good gym, a good church makes growth easier. If I re-learned that a bar-only can be a blessing in the gym and all the motivation comes from within, I re-learned that one can move forward without a lot of external energy. But it's uphill. I'd do better in a Crossfit box with a supportive crew who are as motivated than I am (and more), and I'd do better in a church where the norm is to follow Jesus.
To that end, I'll see if I can find both a better gym, and a better church, in 2012.

I reawakened to the import of investing in a few this year. I have children who will only ever have one father. Not only do I enjoy them, I feel the weight of their expectation for my interest. I'm not interested in wasting time with people who will only ever be acquaintances. I'm penciling in some pointed time with those who I know will count this year.

Other random events this year: We went to Disneyland a few times, Catalina and Carpinteria, Setzer in December, helped Bennetts move.
In 2012, I want to evaluate these traditional trips, and keep only the ones that matter,
Gonna revise the family budget.
Gonna test benchmark WoDs, Maxes, and yes, even body composition this year. I forsee 9 40-day periods, starting with a 5/3/1 and hypertrophy.
Going to make regular time to play music with Haley and CC, guys' days with Kon, date nights with L. Going to solve the garage clutter and CF area in the backyard.
I'll do a bit more geocaching (placing), some homebrewing (less tasting), and stick with the UFC watching.
I did the burpee challenge two years ago. This year, I'll see how many consecutive days I can log a work out. I'll be careful to deload, but no nothing days. Gonna stay anabolic.

That's all for now.

No comments: