Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day.

Only the second time in the last 11 years I've not been in NYC, walking around Times Square with my hands in my pockets, shouldering past couples on my lonesome.

So, not only was I happy to be with the fam, and happy to be eating mondo shrimp with the fam, I had a moment at the table realizing that this strange little non-holiday called Valentine's day is a time where we put on a day on hold to celebrate Love. Not romance, mind you, but Love. Those who only go for the candlelight or roses are selling the day short.

Silly, a bit? No need to have a special day to toast clean air, or skin, or refrigeration, or ... well, Liberty. That one, we do, at that, and we make a big deal out of it with fireworks and such. Love is an abstract notion as well, and even more fundamental than personal freedom. We are right to take a moment and value it.

No comments: