Tuesday, September 08, 2015

SB - Strength Block Explained

5 weeks into this block, I'll take a moment to line it out.

I'm going to squat every third day. Upon this rock, I will build this block. Two days off between undulating sessions should be enough recovery. If not, we'll find out. Sessions shift between Oly Squat heavy 5x5, Oly for reps 5x10+, and Front Squat heavy 5x5. All use a .45 on, 2.00 off timer, and 4 warm up sets before the work sets.
RDLs and FtB are assistance work here.
I'm not deadlifting this cycle. Yes, you heard that right. A strength block with no deadlifting. I'm doing RDLs instead.

Every other day, there's a Pull/Push/curl triplet on the HT timer of .30 on, .45 off, for 5 rounds. Pull and Push alternate between H and V, heavy and reps (4 sessions mixed: Vpush heavy 5x5/Vpull reps, Pendlay Row 5x5/Push up reps, HPush 5x5/Ring Row reps, Vpull weighted 5x3/Vpush reps. A 5th session is a 5-round 5-exercise mess: GtO reps/Ring row/Ring dip/Chins/curl.
The curl is included every day, but is just assistance work; half for composition and half in hopes that the work will help with pulling. Each rotates between ez-in bar, ez-out bar, and hammer curls with DBs.

This is a linear progression for me. I'll be adding only 2.5# per session to each heavy lift (and not really worrying about the weight on reps days - just enough to have snappy bar speed and still get 10+ each set) each time the lift comes up, until I stall out, or the end of the 13-week cycle. At the end of the cycle, I'll hold at my new norm weights for 5x5 into some CFBB for 10 weeks to lock it in.

Some days, the Squat and the Pull/Push overlap into a double-day perfect storm. Most of the time, work will only take 25-30 minutes. All weeks have two days completely off, some have three. Although there are open days each week, there's not really grace days. Staying on schedule is more important in practice than it looks on paper here. There are no good ways to catch up if you miss a day on this program.

That's it. There's no conditioning included in this package. Saturdays/Sundays I'll do some tabata bag work.

No comments: