Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Only a Geocacher Could Understand.

I'm catching myself getting crotchety about caching. Maybe I'm a throwback to another caching day.

From QuestMaster, not me, but I cheer and cry with every line:

>> Geocaching just isn't what it used to be.
I remember when it was more about location, location, location and less about numbers, numbers, numbers.
I remember when it was more about going places and seeing things.
I remember when it was less about finding stuff and how many.
I remember when nobody cared about being first.
I remember when people hid caches one at a time.
I remember when there was less quantity and more quality.
I remember when geocaching was more hiking in the woods and less riding around in the car.
I remember when there were no micros and nobody hid caches in parking lots.
I remember when we didn't have to practice "stealth" or play the dodge the muggle game.
I remember when geocachers were more outdoorsy and less nerdy.
I remember when caches were caches (i.e. supposed to be found) instead of "evil" hides.
I remember when geocaching was run more like a hobby and less like a business.
I remember when there were fewer rules and a lot less politics.
I remember when nobody got banned for writing a silly poem.
I remember when geocaching was a lot more fun.

I don't have a long caching past, I ain't been around all that long. But I am the future of caching. I'm gonna do my part to win back the day one cache at a time.

No comments: